top of page

Match Report - Wishaw Vs Blantyre Victoria

Blantyre travelled to the Beltane on Saturday to face high-flying Wishaw after their impressive victory at Greenock.

The visitors started the match the stronger of the two, as in the second minute Con Boyle played a brilliant pass through to Fraser Allan who’s left-footed effort rattled the side-netting.

It only took six minutes for The Vics to break the deadlock as John Henderson relentlessly pursued a loose ball, before curling low cross into the box. Nadeem Zeb got on the end of the cross only to be denied by an outstretched leg. The rebound was controlled by Dylan Falconer who swerved a ball across the face of the goal to the feet of Fraser Allan - who smashed the ball into the back of the net.

12 minutes in, the Vics were in again as Caldwell crossed a decent ball into the box. Zeb controlled the ball inside the area, selflessly he cut the ball back to Boyle, who’s strike curled passed the keeper to give the visitors a comfortable lead.

The Vics maintained control of the match for a long spell, with Wishaw only getting one significant chance in the first half. A cross was whipped into The Vics box, a scramble then occurred in the area, before Dale Jones cleared the danger before Wishaw could manage a shot.

The second half continued, similarly to how the first ended - with Vics dominating possession and Wishaw only managing a few chances on the counter attack.

A couple of minutes into the second period, Craig Kerr moved the ball from the Vics back line to the right flank where Jones was waiting to receive. Instead of performing one of his infamous darting runs into the area the full-back picked out John Henderson on the edge of the ‘D’. The makeshift centre-forward got a shot away but due to being off balanced his shot was too weak to threaten the Wishaw keeper.

The Vics continued their dominance in the match, and in the 60th minute they were in on goal again as Falconer whipped another good cross into the area. Zeb was unable to get the ball on the deck quickly enough and decided instead to show off his acrobatic skills with an overhead kick - but it was a simple save for the keeper.

Just four minutes later and Henderson had another glorious chance as Dale Jones curled in a powerful cross to the near post. The Vics no.9 was under pressure from the centre-half, but he managed a right footed shot while airborne. His effort at close range was just wide of the post - it wasn’t to be his day.

In the 71st minute, Falconer picked up the box at the side-line just beyond the halfway line. He spotted Allan on the opposite wing making a run beyond the Wishaw backline and played a long switch pass to him. Allan had the simple job of charging towards goal and slotting it into the left bottom corner - for his second of the match.

Wishaw has their first proper chance of the match in the 77th, a shot from about 40 yards from Wishaw’s no.15 forced Dean Trainor to make his first save of the game, as a extended his right arm to push the low driven shot out for a corner.

Two minutes from time Blantyre rubbed salt in the wound, as trialist Evan Duffy slipped a pass through to Ross Caldwell, who only had the keeper to beat. He neatly chipped the ball over the keeper to score The Vics’ tenth goal in two games and subsequently make sure of another impressive result against Wishaw.

A very bad day at the office for Wishaw, they now sit 12th in the table - six points above the dropzone. A big victory for the Vics on a day that many of their promotion rivals dropped points and it was the first time they have won two matches on the trot since November.

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page